How to Fix Uxtheme.dll Windows Error (PC/Registry Repair Guide)
Uxtheme.dll is a vital Windows component mostly found on Windows XP. The Uxtheme.dll file is essential for loading the “skin” of the operating system and process certain functions related to the selected Windows theme or windows display colors.
The common issues and errors associated with Uxtheme.dll may revert Windows to display a default theme or set of display selections.
The Common Uxtheme.dll error messages read like the following:
“This application failed to start because uxtheme.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.”
“Cannot find [PATH]uxtheme.dll”
“The application or DLL C:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.”
The specific cause of Uxtheme.dll errors may occur when the system attempts to read an incompatible theme or skin installed. Most often the Uxtheme.dll error will prompt an error message pop-up to be displayed and affect the ability to make a desired theme selection within the Windows control panel.
Fixing the Uxtheme.dll error may require reinstallation of the Uxtheme.dll file or a specific theme or set of skin files.
Receiving the Uxtheme.dll error could cause additional issues on your computer. Troubleshooting such an error may require finding effective ways to search the Windows registry and other areas of Windows to first identify the root cause.
Automatically Detect and Fix Uxtheme.dll Error and other PC/Registry Issues:
Possible causes for the Uxtheme.dll error or issue on your computer:
- The Uxtheme.dll file or a related file was mistakenly moved or deleted.
- Malware or Virus infections may be present.
- Outdated software or driver issue.
- Missing or corrupted file or related Windows registry entry(s).
The following issues may occur if the Uxtheme.dll error is not fixed.
The computer will always display the annoying error message.
The computer may run slow and could limit usage of other functions and running of certain applications.
Windows will not be able to open associated programs.
Other errors may be triggered causing further issues.
Ways to fix the Uxtheme.dll error on your PC
1) Manually – Install or re-install the Uxtheme.dll file or a newer version of Uxtheme.dll.
Many times installing a replacement file will not solve the Uxtheme.dll error. In most cases the Windows registry must be modified to register a new Uxtheme.dll file to prevent the Uxtheme.dll error from reappearing.
- Find a new version of Uxtheme.dll to download.
- Install the file to its default location on the computer. (you may be required to overwrite an older version of the file no registered in the Windows registry)
- Register the new Uxtheme.dll file by going to Start menu > Run > and then typing in cmd and regsvr_Uxtheme.dll and then press enter.
- Restart the computer and see if the Uxtheme.dll error reappears or not.
2) Reinstall the program related to Uxtheme.dll.
Many times reinstalling the application that loads and registers the Uxtheme.dll file will resolve error messages. Simply find the application related to Uxtheme.dll and download a new copy or reinstall it from the Windows control panel Add/Remove Programs option. Restart your computer after the install has completed to see if the Uxtheme.dll error comes back or not. (location of Uxtheme.dll - C:\WINDOWS\system32)
3) Fix Uxtheme.dll error with an advanced Registry Cleaner and Repair Tool
As another option, the Uxtheme.dll error may be resolved by downloading and installing a PC/registry repair tool. Downloading, installing and running a new registry repair tool will ensure the complete Windows registry is scanned and all errors are detected while a fix is automatically applied. Most common Windows errors are easily resolved with advanced registry and PC repair applications.